Friday, July 11, 2008

nouveau rich. mainland china. louis vuitton.

im not sure if every one of you has read the Fall 2007 issue of TIME MAGAZINE, but its really an interesting one.. and here's the cover.



but don't get me wrong. as much as i want to read TIME (and other business magazines for the matter) my mind just get dumb / blank, which is really weird, cos i grew up being an honor student... but grew tired of it since i realized "street smart" is far way better ~hehe. okay, that was an excuse! but no matter how much i forced myself to "like" courses like literature, law, business writing etc.. im just a MATH & SCIENCE geek (yes, i suck at writing and i'm keeping a blog - w/c is also weird) and u all know that the human brain can ONLY be "better" in either the left or right hemisphere - unless ur a genious - for which i am not :)

anyway, going back.

the reason why ilove reading this issue is because it pointed out the existence of the "nouveau rich's" and "luxuries" at the ff. giants - India, Russia and China - countries which most people think are POOR.. but not anymore. and it also came into no surprise as to why everytime i look up at China street fashion (shanghai, beijing, shenzhen, hk), or walking at the ff. city's streets for example, it's so seldom you won't see a person (male, female, young, old, straight, gay) toting designer handbags - and most of them is dear Louis Vuitton.



before, i would probably think these are fake- since, if you've also watched one episode in SATC - fake products are everywhere in China! but i know by heart that these are real. and everytime i visit Plaza 66, people are indeed buying everything "desginer" - Prada, Gucci, Chanel, Fendi.. all in CASH (forgive me, but growing up in a 3rd world country, this never happened)! and they're not satisfied with classics either. the limited and/or new collections are always SOLD OUT. and imagine me just staring at them.. "you poor girl, just buy the damn thing! you CAN afford it!" - my frenemy would always say.. but i still didn't bought it. WHY? because im a self-confessed cheap shopper.. i know where to get the cheaper ones (in Europe) - so i would just wait for the opportunity to buy it there (or ask my friend) or just go to HK, wherever, cos fyi: its 40% more expensive in Shanghai.. and i'd rather use the 40% on more un-necessary shoppings.. hehehe.


photo creds: time magazine, louis vuitton website, china street fashion.

18 comments:

*~The World is My Catwalk~* said...

I'm totally drooling!!

Yeah I can attest to that... I had to line up for at least 30 mins. to get into LV HK... and the counters were overflowing with buzzing Chinese customers who were not "just taking a look" but BUYING! I had to wait again for my bags to arrive because everyone was just swiping their cards away!

In China even MEN tote LV bags.. or shoes and belts...predominantly over other designer bags though I also spied a few different brands...and if you had a keen eye.. you would just know they were REAL ones.

I watched a CNN special on Asian being one of the biggest consumers of designer goods nowadays.. I guess we got tired (keen-eyed and allergic) to all the knock-offs around... and now know that getting non-fakes is a LOT better.

P.S. Go and get the high-waisted Mango skirt!! You won't regret it, the buttons in front are just too CUTE!

Dapper Kid said...

I think it's different societies really, because as the country has only recently become so wealthy, people feel they need advertise the wealth is really obvious ways, which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess. I mean I remember in the 90s when people in the UK would only wear designer labels that had a HUGE label or print on it, just so people would know they spent money on it.

kathrin said...

have you heard about the comme dg and lv collaboration?
http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/2008/07/10/louis-vuitton-at-comme-des-garcons-collection/

www.fashionistadiary.co.uk

Mimi said...

Thanks for the comment :)

Blicious said...

great post. love the pics!

pammish said...

~P~ : yes.. guys here are also addicted.. and they know more abt these things than i do.. and also teach me to prefer the multicolore over the rest.. haha crazy!! i haven't watched that ep. in CNN! i shud! :)

DAPPER KID : i think ur point sums it all :) so basically, its the diff. bet the 'nouveau' and the 'old' (rich) no? thanks again for ur comment!

KATHRIN : i left a comment in ur blog.. ah.. it 'mortified' me, to be honest! :(:(

Lloyda said...

oh yeah mainland chinese pays in cash. when i was training in hongkong i was told about this week that they (the hongkong chinese) call the golden week because of the week long chinese holiday where all the mainland chinese go to hongkong to go shopping! and pay all in cash!!!

said...

You're so sweet to say that I inspire you all. So sweet. After the negative anonymous person who left 3 rude comments, I am moderating my blog. And decided to thank each and every one of the beautiful and very positive readers who come to my blog. So that Thank you so for YOU, sweetie!! ♥

Aisha said...

great post and i love the cat eyes on the model of the magazine's cover!

She's Dressing Up said...

I'm not really a designer bag person myself. The obsession with designer items really higlights the growing wealth of these countries!

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I read that issue...and loved. Thanks for mentioning it :)

Sharon Rose said...

A great and interesting post-I suppose I'm guilty of buying into the designer trends, but I can't and wouldn't pay full price for items!!

Siljesfashion said...

Great post! Love your writing, so funny.

Cate said...

what, you like maths too? i'm a maths geek too!!!!!!
anywho, i liked your collage of street style louis vuitton bags. the people you pictured have really cool outfits, besides the LV bags! but i understand the reason why you don't buy designer bags... if it's 40% more expensive!

agnes said...

here in HK, Louis vuitton store is the only designer chain store you have to line up and wait before you get in there. Vuitton is EVERYWHERE, i swear i see 1 vuitton tote in every 5 seconds another day on streets.(not sure if all of them are real, lol)

Dapper Kid said...

Yup, it's totally about the new v. old types of rich, no doubt China will catch up and probably overtake!

El Notable said...

Wow, great post. I love designer handbags but hate obvious logos.. I am a great fan of Miu Miu and YSL for example. Loved your blog! this is mine if you want to take a peak (it is written in spanish though...)
http://elnotable.blogspot.com/

yiqin; said...

Awesome. I really really love China! I wish to go back soon1

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...