Thursday, July 10, 2008

october 2006

(2nd post for today, wee bit personal post)

OCTOBER 2006 - the 2nd time i came to Shanghai, and also the time when i told myself, "God i really want to work here..."
and true enough, He answered my prayers.

I got accepted in a company that same month, and was hired as management trainee for china projects - then left August 2007.

It has been one of my goals in college - to work abroad and earn my own money for my own vanities, next to being able to speak mandarin - the language that i regretted not to have taken too seriously (for 12yrs) until China was dubbed to become the "next" superpower. and I couldn't ask God for more... for making all these things possible.. because honestly, im the ONLY one among my friends (who dreamed the same thing) who happened to make this REAL.



BUT it wasn't as sweet as having strawberry shortcakes and as glam as we have always imagined it would be - partying and shopping til we drop and all - NO. i forgot to realize that working somewhere means leaving EVERYTHING and EVERYONE behind... you have to be one tough cookie! and i am just a dough. its not like studying abroad either, since u usually have friends / classmates who u can always rely with especially if "homesickness" begins to struck - NO. now that ur working, u have to learn how to stand on ur own.. u can never trust everybody and u have to take your responsibilities more seriously. its really hard.. and i had my share of crying to my mom over the phone, asking her to pls take me home. but she won't, and i can't, since i already gave my word to the company.. so i thought, maybe i just need to do what i came here for..



during the process, i think ive learned alot and became more mature. i can honestly say, im no longer dependent. in fact, im too INdependent that my friends (mostly male) here are complaining - on how i always make my OWN plans - being solo and meeting people everywhere, and not bringing them! ~hehe. on how i managed to walk the streets of Shanghai on my own and never got lost. when bored (and allowed by my boss), i would also buy a plane ticket and go home, even for just 4 days...

i filed for resignation 2 weeks ago - and that was my secret.

photo creds: shanghai, october 2006.

and this is me today... accomplished.



i could just look at the clouds everyday and thank God for everything.. :):)

ADD:

Orison Swett Marden writes: "The moment you resolve to take hold of life with all your might and make the most of yourself at any cost, to sacrifice all lesser ambitions to your one great aim, to cut loose from everything that interferes with that aim, to stand alone, firm in your purpose whatever happens, you set in motion the forces implanted within you for your own development. Live up to your resolve, work at what God meant you to work at for the perfecting of His plan, and you will be invincible. No power on earth can hold you back from success."

18 comments:

Winnie said...

You really are quite inspirational, you have so much courage to go somewhere where you don't speak the language and really immerse yourself in a new location. With you leaving soon, I always think that when you close one door, another one opens. Good Luck with everything!!

pammish said...

WINNIE : thanks winnie! :) im really thankful because its finally over, and when i look back, i can finally say, "I DID IT" - no but's, no what if's.. i made it! now, i have new set of goals.. i know its not going to be easy, but i know God will always be by my side :):)

Podszewka said...

woow;)

Sharon Rose said...

Very good luck with your new plans for the future pammish, you've done so well, keep up the good work!!

*~The World is My Catwalk~* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the_kitten said...

I seriously admire you because going abroad, standing on my own is still something I wish to accomplish but still am mighty afraid of. I wish to overcome this fear, but I am a chicken. What you have experienced I wish to experience myself very soon.

*~The World is My Catwalk~* said...

OMG!!

I'm happy for you girl!! If you've done something and then feel great after... then you know you made a good decision!

I've been very busy... no time to make collages of what I've been wearing... I finally found my camera cable.. and now am swamped with outfits to upload...

Anyways... are you coming back to Manila for a vacay???

yiqin; said...

Yes, I don't think I'll have as mcuh courage as you! I am always so scared of changes! Thanks for inspiring me! :D & China is awesome, I always enjoy my visits there!

PS. you look gorgeous in the first photo1

Wendy said...

You are so super cute!

Vintage Vinyl said...

Wow, I could never just pack up and go somewhere completely new without even knowing the language. You are so strong!

CULTURE CREATORS said...

Wow, congrats! Thats a very inspirational story. Good luck with everything!!





xCC

Dapper Kid said...

All I can say is congratulations, you are suuuuuper!!! Oh, and cute photos!

vivian said...

aww good luck with everything!! when i read your post i could totally relate, i feel the same way in seoul... however i have my boyfriend here so it's much, much easier. you are very courageous to have done it all by yourself... kudos to you. you probably gained so much on a personal and professional level. you seem so ambitious, that's amazing. keep us posted with your new plans!

pammish said...

SHARON ROSE : thank you! :) i feel more encouraged :)

THE KITTEN : i hope u get to do it, even for half a year.. the experience is worth it i guess :) me, i failed to realize all other impt things bec my eyes were set for shopping and nightlife.. haha which is STUPID and learned it the HARD way! :)

~P~ : thanks! i guess, just keep on praying.. and Im going HOME soon.. for good! hehe.. :):) no more 4 seasons boo!

YIQIN : hi sweetie! :) thanks! china is great actually, thank God i can speak the language now. abt changes.. you're right, its scary.. but now i can breathe i think :)

WENDY : thanks gorgeous! :)

VINTAGE VINYL : thanks! but i wasnt really.. i was only infatuated with the 'glitz n glam' and never thought abt reality until i was here already! but thank God its almost over :)

CULTURE CREATORS : thank you for taking time reading it :)

DAPPER KID : suuuuper thanks! haha :)

VIVIAN : thanks! :) and im actually thinking, next time i want to go somewhere else again, im gonna bring my bf or bff with me.. never will i go ALONE again i think.. once experience is enough... :):) *sigh* i wanna go korea! :) hehe.. but my korean sucks.. only know how to say.. "don ne na" "don opso yo" and other bad words.

polkadotqueen said...

OMG, I was there~~ that's XinTianDi, right?

Love your style. Also, Shanghai ppl also have a superiority complex so even if you DO speak Mandarin but don't know the Shanghainese dialect, they're still kind of snooty to you. -_-

pammish said...

POLKADOTQUEEN : yup its in xintiandi! :) yes they do have.. and have NO patience! and i always fight with shanghainese when they start bitching arnd me :)

Blonde hair, Blue jeans said...

love your photos! it always looks like you are having so much fun! =)

pammish said...

blonde hair, blue jeans : thanks! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...